List:       fink-beginners
Subject:    [Fink-beginners] Re: Fink, Fink Commander and links/aliases.
From:       Brian Durant <RoadTripDK () MyRealBox ! Com>
Date:       2006-01-31 10:59:05

On 31. jan 2006, at 1.48, Robert T Wyatt wrote:

> fink install openoffice.org
>
> should download, build, and install the application(s) for you.
>
> fink info openoffice.org
>
> will tell you what components are installed, how to start the app,
> and other nifty stuff.
>
> Brian Durant wrote:
>> Thanks. BTW in reference to OpenOffice.org's listing on the Fink
>> site, it states that there are no binary distributions present. I
>> assume that means that Fink downloads it as source. Does it
>> compile it automatically like I experienced when I had to download
>> libs for StarDict yesterday or do you have to pass arguments when
>> it is a single source package that isn't being controlled by an
>> install script for another package?

Many thanks. In my case, I installed AbiWord and Gedit because I was
looking for some lightweight alternatives to OpenOffice.org, where my
main concern is getting some text spell checked properly when
cocoAspell is on the fritz. For some reason it is sometimes necessary
to choose the correct language, then close the program and restart it
before cocoAspell satrts spell checking in the correct language.
Unfortunately, as can be seen in my e-mail "Possible Fink problem
with install of AbiWord and Gedit." either Fink didn't process the
packages properly or there are problems with the Fink packages,
because spell checking doesn't work at all. Unfortunately, no reply
yet to my mail.

Cheers,

Brian