List:       fink-beginners
Subject:    Re: [Fink-beginners] Terminal.app question
From:       Jonathan Levi MD <drjlevi () netonecom ! net>
Date:       2005-09-29 4:58:16

At 5:03 PM -0400 9/28/05, Brian Beckage wrote:
>...is there a compelling reason to use Terminal.app instead of
>simply using X11.app?

In Panther (I haven't switched to Tiger yet) I think Terminal is
frequently faster than X11/xterm; copying and pasting is done
Mac-style instead of Unix-style; I don't think xterm has a scrollbar
by default (but you can make this your default by customizing the -sb
option in X11's Terminal command); and Terminal.app can be
AppleScripted (I have an AppleScript in my Script menu to open a
Terminal window and have it automatically cd to the Finder's front
window; I use this frequently).

Plus, I do most of my shell-scripting in places where X11 isn't
involved; why have it open under these circumstances? None of which
means that I absolutely must have Terminal; only that it's frequently
more convenient.

Jonathan