List:       fetchmail-friends
Subject:    [fetchmail] Re: Multidrop Bounce
From:       Bill Michell <bill () mics ! org ! uk>
Date:       2003-03-24 11:42:35

Maarten Bezemer writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2003, Ben Clewett wrote:
>
>> I really need email to bounce, as I am in competition with some MS
>> products with do bounce.  (Probably when they should not, but hay...)
>> I'm looking at the code to see if I can easily hack it, and wonder if
>> anybody could give me some advice...  (Sorry about English, I is very
>> dyslexic)
>
> Did you look at bSMTP? In 'professional' setups fetchmail may not always
> be what you want. When MS products are in the competition there should be
> no problems with money, so having the mail delivered through bSMTP instead
> of one 'cheap' pop-box shouldn't be a problem. If you run your own SMTP
> server, it can generate the bounces for you.
>
> Having your SMTP listener do the bounces does however not _require_
> bSMTP. You can also have fetchmail forward everything to your local SMTP
> listener and configure that listener to accept everything and send out
> bounce mails for undeliverable adresses. (That is: do not send 550
> This does require some tweaks in your SMTP listener configuration, but it
> is not impossible. Depending on the mailer, it may even be quite simple.

Simply placing a "dumb" smarthost between fetchmail and your own real smtp
server will probably be enough, and may also help increase security. The
dumb smarthost accepts everything (though respects anti-relaying rules) and
messages are only bounced when the dumb smarthost tries to deliver the
message to your real SMTP server. I do this using "free" software without
any tweaks.

--
Bill Michell
bill@mics.org.uk