List:       fetchmail-announce
Subject:    The 5.7.1 release of fetchmail is available
From:       esr () thyrsus ! com (Eric S !  Raymond)
Date:       2001-03-04 5:51:36

The 5.7.1 release of fetchmail is now available at the usual locations,
including <URL:http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail>.

Here are the release notes:

fetchmail-5.7.1 (Sun Mar  4 00:30:04 EST 2001), 20167 lines:

* Note: NLS build ability is broken!
* FreeBSD port fixes.
* Man page polished and updated.
* Added --sslproto option from Peter Hedwig.
* Fix KPOP support, which got broken in 5.6.8. Closes Debian bug #88288.

NLS build is broken, and I am pissed off.

I am totally fed up with the baroque, fragile pile of crap that is GNU
internalization.  Whatever it's actually doing is buried under so many
layers of undocumented macrology and over-complex generation scripts
that I can't even figure out *when* it stopped working, let alone why.

I need a fix patch from somebody who actually understands this
nonsense.  Otherwise I'm just going to rip all that stuff out in the
next release so I can stop maintaining it; it has cost me way too much
tsuris in the last two weeks.  I have much better things to do with my
time.

There are 289 people on fetchmail-friends and 562 on fetchmail-announce.

By popular demand, diffs from the previous release have been omitted.--

It is the assumption of this book that a work of art is a gift, not a
commodity.  Or, to state the modern case with more precision, that works of
art exist simultaneously in two "economies," a market economy and a gift
economy.  Only one of these is essential, however: a work of art can survive
without the market, but where there is no gift there is no art.
	-- Lewis Hyde, The Gift: Imagination and the Erotic Life of Property