List:       festlang-talk
Subject:    Festlang silence
From:       nshmyrev () yandex ! ru (Nickolay V !  Shmyrev)
Date:       2006-09-23 14:09:52

? ???, 23/09/2006 ? 20:53 +1000, David Worrall ?????:
> Hello Nickolay, All,
>
> Thanks for the invitation.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a wiki/ forum somewhere where basic
> questions are asked/answered. Searching the archives can help but is
> _very_ slow.

> I've just gone through the process of installing speech-tools and
> festival on an Intel Mac, having read the manual completely
> beforehand. It took two weeks including asking some pretty basic
> questions on this list, mostly not related to my particular
> architecture, waiting for a few days to be polite, not getting a
> response, and then discovering the answer by careful slog. So this
> list has trained me not to ask questions of a certain kind. (novice
> ones).  I admit to trying to install v 2.0 before I came to the list
> - that's what the website(s) recommended, I thought.
>
> I would classify myself as an moderately experienced unix programmer
> (for 30 years) and I found the installation process fraught with slip-
> ups and misunderstandings. In the process of getting things up and
> running, I came across quite a few people who have just given up. My
> sense is that once a certain hurdle is overcome, things will get
> easier. I hope so.
>
> I'm just relating my experience and it is not meant as a criticism.
> In fact the amount of care and detail that Alan and others have put
> into the documentation is amazing and I thank them for that.  Which
> is not to say that things cannot be improved. They can. Anyone who
> has been involved in a largish project knows that it's very difficult
> to remember the experience of "beginner's mind".
>
> I have some specific suggestions, and questions. For the moment I'll
> ask:
> Is there interest in this community of users/developers in collecting
> their experience together into some sort of on-line documentation?
>
> regards to all,
>
> David

Well, some lack of open development certainly present. Really festival
itself is open source, but not open project - it has no public
development model, no open repository, no way to include your changes,
no strong community.

But everything is not so bad, the festlang project tries to close this
hole, at least partially. Actually I am also missing wiki very much and
berlios hosting allows to use it, but it exactly berlios wiki seems a
bit ugly for me. This hosting also supports php+mysql, so it probably
possible to setup something like mediawiki directly on the site. No idea
if it will be easy.

For now, if you have some text about festival, like installation manual,
feel free to submit it, I'll happily add it to
http://festlang.berlios.de

Btw, there is irc channel #festlang on berlios.de, where you can get
help more quickly. There are not so many buddies there, but it's a start