List:       festival-talk
Subject:    FT: Re: festival on SuSE / all's well
From:       "Dieter A. Bachmann" <bachmann () altavista ! net>
Date:       1999-10-23 11:30:40

message from "Dieter A. Bachmann" <bachmann@altavista.net> to festival-talk
= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

thanks for replying, Alan,
I am happy to say that my box is talking by now.

> > I needed to make a file config/compilers/g++.mak defining the
> > CXX variable accordingly so make distinguishes between
> > .c and .cc files
>
> Probabaly not, your gcc compile when given a .cc file will call the
> C++ compiler.

You're right, my g++.mak might even have messed things up (I had
created it as a first attempt to get rid of those errors).

> Are you *sure* you have 2.7.2.1, as 2.7.2.3 gives this error exactly
> here, the fix is to add explict casts for the NULL part to be
> (ostream *). e.g.
>
> EST_FringeServer *server =
>     new EST_FringeServer(name, !NULLP(verbose)?&cout:(ostream *)NULL);
>
> I haven't seen this problem in 2.7.2.1, which may point to there being
> some other cross compiler version problem you might have (gcc
> installations are unforately quite good at actually finding other
> pre-installed versions.
>
> Actually these functions aren't called by anything in 1.4.0 so any
> fix to get them through the compiler is fine.

I just have to believe what gcc says it is:

 quercus# gcc -v
 Reading specs from /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i486-linux/2.7.2.1/specs
 gcc version 2.7.2.1

and I wouldn't know where I would have got a 2.7.2.3 one...

But your assertion that those functions are unused encouraged me to
give it another try, and with a freshly de-tarred directory tree
and my hack of removing the offending calls' second argments it
worked (no more of that memory allocation trouble either)

So thanks a lot & I'll start exploring festival now

  Dieter