List:       fedora-test-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 19 status is ALIVE, GA on July 02, 2013
From:       Chris Murphy <lists () colorremedies ! com>
Date:       2013-06-28 22:02:56

On Jun 28, 2013, at 11:13 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam@redhat.com> wrote:

> (I'll note that, quite honestly, I wouldn't consider UEFI dual/multi
> boot of any kind remotely robust as things stand. It still appears to be
> very much a work in progress. The only thing that we really have code
> for that I'd vaguely stand behind is Windows BIOS dual boot.)

I agree with this assessment with respect to dual booting Windows + any linux, on \
UEFI. It's a fairly foul and highly variable UX, with multiple causes for this.

However, the dual boot UX of OS X and Fedora is at least as good as, and actually \
more reliable than Windows + Fedora on BIOS hardware due to how Apple's startup disk \
manager works, and the Herculean effort of Mathew Garret on mactel-boot.

The residual issues for Macs are about the same as for other narrow slices of \
hardware, e.g. video not working due to some kernel regression, or newer hardware \
than there's support for in the kernel; and sometimes wonky behaviors with trackpads \
and such.

Chris Murphy