List:       fedora-test-list
Subject:    Re: /usr or /var on btrfs subvol, dropped to dracut
From:       Chris Murphy <lists () colorremedies ! com>
Date:       2012-12-27 20:52:35

OK I just reproduced this again, this time with just a single disk in a btrfs volume. \
Same thing.

I'm getting closer though. Check out this etc/fstab from within dracut, which I'm \
guessing is the dracut fstab? Because this is not the fstab I have when root is \
mounted.

dracut:/# cat etc/fstab
/dev/disk/by-uuid/blahblahUUID   /sysroot    btrfs    subvol=root,ro 0
/dev/disk/by-uuid/blahblahUUID   /sysroot/usr  btrfs    subvol=usr,subvol=root,ro 1 2

The 2nd one strikes me as incorrect. You can't specify two subvols to mount at one \
mount point. So is this a dracut bug? An anaconda-dracut bug? Or an anaconda bug?

In fact, if I do mount | grep btrfs, there already is a subvol=root mounted. But not \
usr.

If I try to manually mount it:
dracut:/# mount -o subvol=usr /dev/sda1 /sysroot/usr
[  1334.xxxxxxx] device label fedora_f18v devid 1 transid 31 /dev/sda1
mount: /dev/sda1 is already mounted or /sysroot/usr busy
           /dev/sda1 is already mounted on /sysroot

So maybe dracut doesn't like the fact one device can be mounted multiple times in a \
btrfs world? If that's the case should anaconda suppress offering /usr on btrfs as a \
subvol? Talk about messy, because it's first offered as a mount point before the \
device type is chosen. If it's selected, but btrfs device type is suppressed then the \
partitioning gets ugly if the user isn't informed that it's something other than a \
btrfs subvol.

Pretty obscure problem…I'd think.

Chris Murphy