List:       fedora-test-list
Subject:    Re: does final criteria #8 mean lvm-on-raid must be available?
From:       Chris Murphy <lists () colorremedies ! com>
Date:       2012-12-27 2:56:31

On Dec 26, 2012, at 12:25 PM, Ian Pilcher <arequipeno@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 12/26/2012 06:28 AM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> >
> > I can't reproduce this.
> >
> > Fedora-18-smoke12-x86_64-DVD.iso
> > anaconda-18.37.8-1
> >
> > 1. Three disk, MBR, md RAID level linear.
> > 2. VG either totally unallocated, or allocated all or in part to an LV.
> > 3. Click on Installation Destination.
> > 4. I'm presently with one local disk, sda. I don't see the other two disks \
> > attached. 5. Manual Partitioning, under Unknown is 'sda1' described as software \
> > RAID.
>
> I have to admit that I've only tried RAID-1.  That said, it sounds like
> anaconda is only seeing one of your drives, which prevents it from
> starting the MD-RAID devices.

It's not auto-starting the array on boot from smoke12 DVD. That would seem to be a \
problem, yet if it's a raid1 device, anaconda finds an already created LV and lets me \
use it, even though in a shell 'cat /proc/mdstat' shows no raid devices running, and \
pvscan, vgscan, lvscan see no pvs, vgs, or lvs. So the probing anaconda is doing \
seems to be separate from those tools - and I'm going to guess there may be a bug \
there when it comes to linear/concat raid during the scanning.

Some regression is in order it looks like.

The UI is confusing though, if you're expecting to manipulate either a VG or LV, in \
particular if you don't actually know what physical disks make up the VG. So what \
disks do I pick? Ahh, looks like I *must* pick all constituent physical disks. If I \
don't, then the Manual Partitioning window sees only a partition on the drive to be \
obliterated. It doesn't see the VG or LV.

Chris Murphy