List:       fedora-test-list
Subject:    Re:Problems getting my wireless card to work
From:       Josh L <taquitos () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-02-13 23:00:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Stelian Iancu <stelian.iancu@gmx.net>
To: fedora test <fedora-test-list@redhat.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 23:00:28 +0100
Subject: Problems getting my wireless card to work
Hi all,

I have just installed FC5 Test2 on my laptop (HP Pavilion zt3010us)
which has a Intel Pro wireless card (centrino).

After a lot of reading on the net, I've discovered that, although the
driver (ipw2100) is present in the kernel, I don't have the firmware for
this card. So I have downloaded the firmware rpm
(ipw2100-firmware-1.3-2.noarch

> .rpm from freshrpms.net) and installed it.
> Then I've setup manually the IP address of the interface (to
> 192.168.2.10, the wireless router and gateway is 192.168.2.1) and
> rebooted. Now the problem is that Fedora doesn't start anymore. It gets
> stuck trying to start sendmail. I've tried the interactive startup and
> skipped sendmail, but then the whole thing is really slow, it takes ages
> until I get to the login screen. Even then, ifconfig shows me correctly
> eth1 with the correct address, route shows me that 192.168.2.1 is the
> gateway (although it takes quite a while until I see the gateway line)
> and in /etc/resolv.conf I have the correct DNS server. But pinging
> 192.168.2.1 doesn't work, I get Destination host unreachable.
>
> So, any ideas how can I proceed further? FC5 seems very promising, and I
> must say I like a lot what I've seen so far, but this issue is a
> showstopper for me (my router is in another room and I don't want to
> have wires all over the house).
>
> Many thanks!
>
> With regards,
> Stelian Iancu
> <http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=1362>
> <http://heidelberg.freshrpms.net/rpm.html?id=1362>

check iwconfig to see if your wireless card really is loaded... if you see
it, (normally eth1 for the intel pro) then try this.
In my experiences, I have had to

$ifconfig eth1 down
$iwconfig eth1 essid "HomeWireless"
$ifconfig eth1 up
$dhclient eth1

if you are using static ips (I am wondering why if its just a standard home
network...)
(dhcp is a wonderful thing....)
skip the dhclient eth1 and just pass the information via ifconfig after
doing the iwconfig.
--
mr. pibb + red vines = crazy delicious