List:       fedora-marketing-list
Subject:    =?utf-8?q?=5BMarketing=5D?= Re: Self-Introduction: Jeffery Abbott
From:       "Justin W. Flory" <jflory7 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-07-27 5:45:00

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

[Attachment #4 (multipart/mixed)]

On 07/23/2016 05:33 PM, Jeff Abbott wrote:

> Saludos de New Mexico!
>
> My name is Jeffery Abbott (Jeff for short) and I live in the state of
> New Mexico in the United States of America. My FAS username
> is jdabbott5100 and my IRC alias will be #jdabbott5100 (although I
> have yet to sign on yet).
>
> I learned about the Fedora Marketing team by reading the /How do
> you //Fedora?/ feature on the Fedora website, in which one of
> contributors proclaimed to love the Fedora community. Moved by my
> own appreciation of Fedora, I too have decided to join and contribute
> in any way I can. This will be the first Open Source project of
> which I've officially sought to be a part of.
>
> My Skills, which I hope to utilize in Fedora Marketing, include:
>
>   * Promotions – I was the assistant director of Circulation
>     and Audience Development for the Santa Fe New Mexican newspaper
>     for several years in which I oversaw several promotions to
>     help expand readership.
>
>   * Writing – I have a bachelors of arts in Literature, with
>     a concentration in Spanish and Latin American literature. I've
>     had several columns in English and articles translated
>     to/from Spanish published in the Santa Fe New Mexican Newspaper.
>     My first writing project out of college was with a small
>     newspaper in Quito, Ecuador where I worked as an intern for several
>     months.
>
>   * Graphic Design – My three go-to programs are GIMP, Inkscape
>     and Scribus (a great program I don't think is ever
>     mentioned enough). I've created advertisements and promotional
>     materials for both print and web.
>
>   * Web Design – I am proficient in HTML/CSS. I've also been an
>     avid user of the Drupal Content Management System since 2011.
>

> Currently I work for the Special Education Department for Santa
> Fe Public Schools as a Coordinator for Parent and Educator Resources.
> I am incredibly fortunate to be put in a position to support
> students, teachers and families of students who have special
> needs. Personally, I have a son who was born with Special Needs,
> something which has opened my eyes, I feel, to the incredible wonder that it
> is to be a sentient human being. In using Fedora and the vast array of
> Open Source offerings, at work I'm known as the guy capable of doing a
> lot with little. My heart often breaks when I see such institutions like
> public schools pay so much money for the licensing of software of which
> I know there is a perfectly good open source alternative. My chief
> interest in joining the Fedora Marketing Team is to promote Fedora as a
> viable alternative  for nonprofits and public institutions. I currently
> use Fedora on an eight year old laptop that was discarded and reported
> to be "old and broken" but that worked superbly once I put a Fedora Spin
> of LXDE on it. I've also spent time with my son navigating the joys of
> /Sugar on a Stick/.
>
> Being a father of a child with special needs, a husband to my beautiful
> [...]

Firstly, I think it's worth offering a welcome to open source in
general! Contributing to your first project is a big deal. I'm happy
that you decided to come to Fedora and offer your skills and abilities
here. I'll try to do my best to offer some personalized pointers for how
you can help us here in Marketing and possibly beyond too. I'll try
breaking this email into little sections for readability.

== Welcome to open source! ==

For starters, though, I would like to offer a helpful guide for
understanding IRC and getting a hang for it. When you first are getting
used to it, it can be a little strange and foreign. Fortunately, another
Marketeer and general Fedora superstar Paul Frields wrote an excellent
beginner's guide to IRC on the Fedora Magazine. I think taking the time
to read this over will definitely be helpful for you in getting started
with it on the right foot.

     https://fedoramagazine.org/beginners-guide-irc/

Another thing worth mentioning too is that the Marketing team, or even
open source in general, isn't as much of a club to be admitted to as it
is a community whiteboard. I mean to say, there's no magic word we have
to say for you to have permission to try doing something or offering
feedback to. Whether it's writing an article or helping work on an idea
or task in a ticket, you can say, "Hey, I want to try working on this!"
and we'll be happy to help offer feedback and guidance towards you
contributing. No special membership pass required. :)

== Contributing to Fedora ==

==== Marketing / Writing ====

There's definitely ways your writing skills and abilities could be
utilized. One of the most powerful tools, I think, is the power of
storytelling. Reading your background special education and using open
source in the world of education holds a lot of potential for impacting
other people. Perhaps the best first step for you to do this would be to
consider writing an article for the Fedora Magazine. In Woo's reply, he
linked to some great resources for writing a new post for the Magazine,
and I'll repeat them again here for consistency's sake.

     https://fedoramagazine.org/writing-an-article-for-the-fedora-magazine/

     https://fedoramagazine.org/writing-a-new-pitch/

Ideas you could consider starting with based on your intro... how has
open source made your job easier? What are your "top 5 tips" for any
educator interested in open source? What kind of advice or experience do
you have that could help other educators who want to break open source
into their own schools a little more? What about your son and Sugar and
a Stick, what have you found useful and powerful about using it? Maybe
highlighting some specific apps or tools in SoaS could also be useful.

==== Design =====

You also mentioned interest and experience in Design. While we do help
coordinate some of the planning for design, a lot of the actual design
work happens in the Design Team. Perhaps this is also something you
would be interested in too. Here's some links to direct you there:

     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Design

     https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Join_the_Design_Team

== Questions, comments, concerns? ==

Again, I'd like to welcome you to open source, Fedora, and the Marketing
team. Hopefully some of the above tips can offer an idea or direction
for how you could help Fedora in the marketing department.

If you are free on Wednesday and/or Thursday evenings (in the US,
anyways), we have the following meetings at the following times:

* Marketing meeting: Wednesdays, 21:00 UTC (5pm US EST) in
#fedora-meeting-1 on freenode IRC
* Magazine editorial meeting: Thursdays, 21:00 UTC (5pm US EST) in
#fedora-meeting on freenode IRC

You're more than welcome to attend either meeting if your schedule
permits, and we'd love to see you there. If those times don't work for
you, we always send out the weekly minutes on the mailing list, so it's
easy to read up on what was discussed or covered, and add your thoughts
back to the mailing list after the meeting.

Hopefully all of this information is helpful and useful to you getting
started. I know something like all of this would have been helpful to me
when I was getting started. If you have any questions, ideas, or
suggestions, you're always welcome to ask here on the list or in our IRC
channel.

Hoping to see you around soon, and again, welcome to Fedora Marketing! :)

--
Cheers,
Justin W. Flory