List:       fedora-marketing-list
Subject:    =?utf-8?q?=5BMarketing=5D?= Self-Introduction: Jeffery Abbott
From:       Jeff Abbott <jdabbott51 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-07-23 21:33:13

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Saludos de New Mexico!

My name is Jeffery Abbott (Jeff for short) and I live in the state of New
Mexico in the United States of America. My FAS username is jdabbott5100 and
my IRC alias will be #jdabbott5100 (although I have yet to sign on yet).

I learned about the Fedora Marketing team by reading the *How do you *
*Fedora?* feature on the Fedora website, in which one of contributors
proclaimed
to love the Fedora community. Moved by my own appreciation of Fedora, I too
have decided to join and contribute in any way I can. This will be the
first Open Source project of which I've officially sought to be a part of.

My Skills, which I hope to utilize in Fedora Marketing, include:

   - Promotions – I was the assistant director of Circulation and Audience
   Development for the Santa Fe New Mexican newspaper for several years in
   which I oversaw several promotions to help expand readership.

   - Writing – I have a bachelors of arts in Literature, with a concentration
   in Spanish and Latin American literature. I've had several columns in
   English and articles translated to/from Spanish published in the Santa Fe
   New Mexican Newspaper. My first writing project out of college was with a
   small newspaper in Quito, Ecuador where I worked as an intern for several
   months.

   - Graphic Design – My three go-to programs are GIMP, Inkscape and Scribus
   (a great program I don't think is ever mentioned enough). I've created
   advertisements and promotional materials for both print and web.

   - Web Design – I am proficient in HTML/CSS. I've also been an avid user
   of the Drupal Content Management System since 2011.

Currently I work for the Special Education Department for Santa Fe Public
Schools as a Coordinator for Parent and Educator Resources. I am incredibly
fortunate to be put in a position to support students, teachers and
families of students who have special needs. Personally, I have a son who
was born with Special Needs, something which has opened my eyes, I feel, to
the incredible wonder that it
is to be a sentient human being. In using Fedora and the vast array of Open
Source offerings, at work I'm known as the guy capable of doing a lot with
little. My heart often breaks when I see such institutions like public
schools pay so much money for the licensing of software of which I know
there is a perfectly good open source alternative. My chief interest in
joining the Fedora Marketing Team is to promote Fedora as a viable
alternative  for nonprofits and public institutions. I currently use Fedora
on an eight year old laptop that was discarded and reported to be "old and
broken" but that worked superbly once I put a Fedora Spin of LXDE on it.
I've also spent time with my son navigating the joys of *Sugar on a Stick*.

Being a father of a child with special needs, a husband to my beautiful
wife Katia, and a coordinator in the public schools often means I can be a
bit busy. I may not be the first to respond to collaboration initiatives
but that doesn't mean I won't be paying attention. I'll gladly chime in and
contribute whenever possible! :)

Thanks so much for the opportunity and please consider including me on your
marketing team!

Kindest regards,

--
Jeffery Abbott