List:       fedora-marketing-list
Subject:    Re: [commops] working on f23 final release announcement
From:       "Paul W. Frields" <stickster () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-10-16 15:21:45

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 04:21:05PM -0700, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 01:13:36PM -0400, Remy DeCausemaker wrote:
> >> I'm also open to ideas. I think that getting a solid list of
> >> improvements and performance enhancements from Fedora-infra about
> >> Bodhi2 would a great section to include in the notes. It's kinda
> >> meta, but still such an epic set of improvements from a 5 year
> >> undertaking.
> >>
> >> I'll reach out to the Infra team and try to get some
> >> stats/metrics/facts/bullet points.
> >>
> >> Same for some bullet points on the Fedora-boostrap redesign
> >> too. We're making a common look/feel, and it is helping to provide
> >> some cohesion in our web properties.
> >>
> >> I'll also reach out to the Magazine folks, and see if I can get some
> >> quick bulletpoints/stats for readers/articles published.
> >
> > I don't think we want to conflate the audience that wants to know how
> > much better the sausage tastes, with the people that care about
> > improvements to the sausage making equipment.
>
> +1 to this. Release announcements are already long-ish as it is. I
> think there's a nice line to walk between having personality and not
> being boring, informative without losing the reader,
>
> That said -- I think there's definitely room for a mail / blog post to
> the wider community celebrating the continuous improvements to the
> sausage factory with each release. (Where, definitely room == people
> would read it and it would be appreciated, not necessarily room in
> someone's life to make it happen :D)

I agree wholeheartedly.  This is something that could go to announce@
for instance, which should reach everyone in the contributor community
and beyond.

> And something like that -- assuming it was published just before or at
> the same time as the release announcement -- would be a fine short
> addition to a release announcement, IMO. "Want to see how the sausage
> is made?" [1] ... "then read this link to take a peek inside the
> factory, and how you too can become an official oompa loompa," or
> something to that effect, in the contributing section.

I'd call this optional since we are not always good about tight-timing
that type of pricess. :-)  But certainly worth social-media lovin'.

> Note that the "how the sausage is made" joke has already been used in
> this context a bit :)
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F17_Alpha_release_announcement

How can we forget? (And wouldn't want to.)