List:       fedora-marketing-list
Subject:    Re: Help us rebrand rawhide
From:       Jiri Eischmann <eischmann () redhat ! com>
Date:       2015-08-26 13:45:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Matthew Miller píše v Pá 14. 08. 2015 v 18:10 -0400:
> So, here at Flock, we're talking about improving Rawhide so it's much
> less likely to break (it will, for example, be always installable and
> always updatable).
>
> We took the "Rawhide eats babies" readme file away a long time ago,
> but it still has that reputation. So, the consensus in the room here
> is
> that we'd like a new name for a new, less scary devel tree.
>
> What should it be?

I agree with a couple of comments above me: don't change the name.

The change of the name happens usually in two situations:
1. the brand is so damaged that it seriously limits the business (e.g.
Malaysian Airlines after those two unfortunate crashes).
2. the nature of the product is being radically changed.

I think neither is the case here. Rawhide has very little awareness
outside the core community (mostly contributors), so it can't have
damaged branding there, and I think it's very easy to deliver the
message to our core users that Rawhide should be more usable now. No
name change necessary.
And I also don't think that the nature of Rawhide is going to change
radically. If we decided to make a stable rolling release from it, then
yes, change of the name would be appropriate.

I like the current name, it's unique, it has history. Don't change it.

Jiri