List:       fedora-marketing-list
Subject:    Re: How to treat trolls
From:       Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-12-21 4:23:22

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Jiri, folks,

On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 15:30 +0100, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like to ask others for advice.
> As you may know, I'm maintaining the Fedora Project page at Google+.
> And
> I have a problem with a troll :)
> There is a guy who started posting a "WINDOWS 8 POWER!" message under
> every post we have on our page. It's pretty much spamming and it leads
> discussions on our page to unwanted directions because people of
> course
> feed the troll.
>
> I'm considering to ban him, but I don't want to do anything that would
> harm our reputation of open and censorship-free community. Do you
> think
> it crosses the line and banning is an appropriate reaction or should I
> let him be and hope that he'll stop doing it (although he can do it
> for
> months because it's nothing time taking)?
>
> Jiri

I keep a tab on the Fedora Communities group on FB. This is how I go
about it:

I ignore trolls until their comments begin to spark useless
conversations (that are generally never fedora related, as you point
out). Then, I drop them a polite private message requesting them to
refrain from trolling, and that failure to comply will *force* me to
delete their comments and *eventually* a ban. At the same time, I drop a
polite comment in the respective thread pointing out the trolling, with
reasons XYZ, and request other users to not partake in it. If at any
point, the thread begins to get out of hand with rude comments and such,
I remind people to "be excellent to each other" and that failing to
follow the guideline will again, *force* me to delete comments and ban
people.

I make it very clear that I'd like to let the conversation run, but that
non fedora related comments and rude behaviour will force my hand to
maintain decorum in the group/community. I generally add that social
media is free for everyone to use; people are more than welcome to
create their own groups and hold discussions and that we'd be most
grateful if they didn't pollute/deviate our groups with their
discussions.

This generally resolves issues for me. The trolls cease. If they don't,
they're the kind that are looking to create trouble, not just have a
little fun. Users generally realize this and quit feeding them. The
trolls get bored and die out without their followers.

When the above process doesn't work, you ban the user, as the last
resort. :(
--
Thanks,
Warm regards,