List:       fedora-marketing-list
Subject:    Draft of Fedora Java Marketing Brief
From:       Dan Allen <dan.j.allen () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-08-28 4:23:53

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

As promised, I have drafted a marketing brief* about Fedora Java. "Fedora
Java" is about making Fedora the preferred environment of choice for Java
and JVM platform development.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Java/Fedora_Java_Marketing_Brief

Here's the TL;DR:

* Java is one of the most popular languages (#2 @ Tiobe Index, #5 @ github,
#1 @ sourceforge)
* ~ 8 million Java developers
* JVM supports many other languages, which means even more developers
* < 1% of these developers use Fedora
* Fedora Java SIG has made creating Java packages easy, consistent w/
packaging guidelines
* Fedora has the latest and most popular stuff on the JVM platform,
including Java 7 (OpenJDK), Eclipse 4.2, Maven 3, JBoss AS 7, Tomcat 7 and
JBoss Tools
* A Fedora Java Spin is in the works (currently a Fedora Remix)
* Fedora should be the operating system of choice for JVM platform
developers!

There have been huge strides made recently in the Fedora Java story, as I
cover in the brief. That's why I think this is a good storyline to
pursue when marketing Fedora 18. I think it can help attract a lot of
developers to Fedora and in return, those developers will hit the ground
running with this comprehensive development stack.

-Dan

* or what I think is a marketing brief :)

--
Dan Allen
Registered Linux User #231597

http://google.com/profiles/dan.j.allen