List:       fedora-marketing-list
Subject:    Re: release slogan, round 2.
From:       Stephen John Smoogen <smooge () gmail ! com>
Date:       2010-08-24 21:20:33

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 14:42, Larry Cafiero <larry.cafiero@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 10:37 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <
>>
>> To be honest.. are Release Names really used by people when talking
>> about Fedora? I see that more often in the Ubuntu/Debian communities
>> than ever in Fedora/RHL communities.

Re-reading my text, I was more rude than I expected myself to be. I
apologize for any offence as I should have put more reasoning into why
I brought it up.

> Frankly, yes. It's easy to refer to F13 as Goddard, just as it's common for
> those in Ubuntu to talk about Feisty, Gutsy, Karmic, Lucid, etc., in
> referring  to those releases. In fact, more times than not during the course
> of a presentation, I'll refer to the release by name rather than by number.

Whenever I have done that even  back in the day I usually got blank
stares from people. When people outside of some Fedora people mention
a release it always seems to be F13 FC6 etc etc. But that might be
just the type of people I end up hanging with. [Beyond the

> But I've never really used the slogans when describing any Fedora release,
> so I don't think we should be comparing release names to release slogans.

To me they are the same thing.. words that describe something that I
see in a release literature but not in RL. Beyond the fun of trying to
pick something for it.. I don't see a reason for either of them
myself. [And beyond the fact that my (and 2-3 developers) choice of
Apollo was RHL5.2 I really cant remember one past 6 months.]

> My point -- maybe missed, maybe not -- is how important is a slogan if
> choosing one is causing problems and taking away from time better spent
> elsewhere?

Ok now I understand better. My view was that if it were causing fun
like the release names seem to do.. why not. However it is more legal
headaches.

> [Incidentally, I am just north of ambivalent about the slogan: If we have
> one, fine; if not, oh well. So I really don't have a horse in this race, so
> to speak.]
>
> Larry Cafiero
>

> --

Stephen J Smoogen.