List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: System upgrades. Where is the / filesystem?
From:       Charles Dennett <cdennett () gmail ! com>
Date:       2024-05-02 17:08:14

On 5/2/24 11:46 AM, John Pilkington wrote:

> I suppose a "sudo dnf clean all" had helped too: 88 files removed. After
> the download KDiskFree reported 3.9 GB free in /, and dnf said that was
> the total package size.  "df / " said 4093160 blocks.  After the reboot
> I removed the excludes, ran dnf upgrade again, and installed locally
> built MythTV rpms.

sounds like /var is par of the root file system. To test, "cd /var ; df
-k ." to see if it is.  If so, usually /var/cache, /var/tmp and /var/log
is a good place to find a lot of unneeded stuff to clean out.  To find
the biggest offenders, cd to one of those directories (/var/cache for
example) and then use the command "sudo du -sh *" to get a listing of
each file/directory in the current directory and their sizes.  You'd
have to investigate further to see what can be safely removed.

Charlie