List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: crippling nvidia display issue.
From:       Thomas Cameron <thomas.cameron () camerontech ! com>
Date:       2024-04-15 20:33:40

On 4/15/24 14:02, home user wrote:
> On 4/11/24 11:19 AM, home user wrote:

<snip>

> There's....
> 1.
> (Thomas)
>> I finally just nuked all the RPMFusion packages and downloaded the
>> drivers directly from https://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx and
>> ran the installer from there. It works fine again.
>
> (Todd)
>> I can tell you that building the 2 or 3 nvidia 470xx packages
>> works well for the later 6.7 and current 6.8 kernels.
>
> and there's....
> 2.
> (John)
>> AIUI we are moving from X11 graphics towards Wayland, which the nvidia
>> driver will not support...
>
> (Michael)
>> So, not sure if this is a kernel issue, or the driver issue, but seems
>> neither rpmfusiong or nvidia's driver will work any longer?
>
> These seem to me to be inconsistent with each other.   What am I missing?
>
> B. nvidia and Fedora.
>
>  From posts in this thread, I gather that
> 1. nvidia users can no longer use Fedora, and

That's not AT ALL what I said. I was able to use the NVidia drivers from
NVidia's web site just fine. Others mentioned they did the same.

> 2. Fedora users can no longer use nvidia.

Again, I didn't see ANYTHING that intimated that.

> Is this correct?

Nope. I've been using Linux since 1995. NVidia drivers have ALWAYS been
problematic. RPMFusion has done amazing work trying to make it less
onerous, but often times NVidia makes changes that catch third parties
like RPMFusion unawares. I *feel* like this is just another case of
this. It stinks, but it's not the end of the world. Either wait til this
gets fixed by the volunteer developers at RPMFusion (and be cool to
them, most are working out of love for the community), or install the
NVidia drivers from NVidia web site. You'll be fine.

--
Thomas