List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: imminent /boot problem.
From:       Felix Miata <mrmazda () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2024-02-23 4:27:57

home user composed on 2024-02-22 21:06 (UTC-0700):

> Felix Miata wrote:
> > Does your overall configuration necessitate having boot on its own partition? If
> > not, and you have plenty of freespace on /, you could remount your /boot/
> > filesystem elsewhere, remove that filesystem from fstab, copy old filesystem
> > content to the now empty /boot/ directory on /, and finish by reinstalling \
> > bootloader.

> I don't know.  The original install was done 10+ years ago.  Not knowing any \
> better, I very probably just accepted the defaults.  Much of what you suggest here \
> is over my head.

> > Another possibility: if there is space that can be made available for a \
> > completely new larger boot elsewhere, make it, and migrate in similar manner to \
> >                 moving old
> > /boot/'s content to /. /boot/ filesystem need not be on the same disk as /.

> There is only one hard drive.

> Removing the oldest kernel (dnf remove kernel-core...) looks to have solved the \
> problem, at least for a while.  But thank-you for trying to help.

For now you should be fine with that config reduction to 2 kernels, but in the
long run, it may be best to gain some understanding of what you have, so better to
avoid more unexpected trouble as the system further evolves.

Output from:

	cat /etc/fstab
	parted -l	and/or	fdisk -l
	lsblk -f

would enable us to understand your configuration and enable recommendations to be
made if indicated, before you get caught in an inextricable bind.
--
Evolution as taught in public schools is, like religion,
	based on faith, not based on science.

Felix Miata