List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: Printer drivers and raw queues are deprecated
From:       Tim via users <users () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2023-11-01 12:52:55

Michael Hennebry
>> So, if I wanted to use a printer, e.g. mine,
>> that was not support out of the box,
>> I would have to change the box,
>> i.e. make a custom CUPS?

Patrick O'Callaghan:
> The theory is that you shouldn't have to do anything except configure
> the printer (in CUPS) to use DNSSD. That in turn depends on Avahi
> working correctly. Try 'sudo avahi-browse -a -t' to make sure the
> printer is visible.

And I wonder how this will affect people who don't use Avahi, et al?

I switch it off wherever possible, because it adds a new can of worms
to networking.  I have things on my LAN that can only use DHCP, and
only want one network configuration control to deal with.  Avahi is a
bit of a loose cannon.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.102.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Oct 17 15:42:21 UTC 2023 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.