List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: Printer drivers and raw queues are deprecated
From:       Neal Becker <ndbecker2 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2023-10-31 20:23:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Tue, Oct 31, 2023 at 2:53 PM Ian Pilcher <arequipeno@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/31/23 11:10, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> > The theory is that you shouldn't have to do anything except configure
> > the printer (in CUPS) to use DNSSD. That in turn depends on Avahi
> > working correctly. Try 'sudo avahi-browse -a -t' to make sure the
> > printer is visible.
>
> I just set up an Epson EcoTank inkjet printer.  Theoretically, it
> supports IPP Everywhere, AirPrint, and driverless printing, but it only
> accepts ESC/P-R datastreams, so color me skeptical about the wonderful
> driverless future.

Driverless sounds like a nice concept, but doesn't seem to work for me.  I
deleted the proprietary printer driver for my brother laser hl-l2395dw,
then on KDE try adding a printer.  It does detect the printer in the
"discovered printers" section I see a hll2395dw "driverless" option.  But
if I choose that, I'm prompted to fill in an ip address and some other info
(port?).  So I don't think this is actually working.  Choosing instead
Brother's proprietary driver works and connects via dnssd without asking me
for other info.