List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: OT: Ways to figure what causing High Ping Loss that require power cycling cable modem??
From:       Tim via users <users () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2023-07-09 16:30:59

On Sun, 2023-07-09 at 21:50 +1000, Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> Usually would only need to reboot cable modem about once a
> month, but over last 6 days, have required reboots average of 7.5
> times a day? 45 total. Similar patterns for prior weeks.

If you want a brute force and ignorance way of scheduling modem
reboots, you could use a wall socket mains timer.  Or, for a more
nuanced big stick approach, one of those software remote controllable
ones, letting your PC cold boot the modem if it loses connectivity.

I suppose it's possible your modem may have developed a fault and is
intermittently failing by itself.  A while ago my service's fibre modem
developed more faults than it already had (it'd been somewhat dodgy
since first installed, actually), and it took months of arguing to get
the thing replaced (it's the one thing you don't own, and you can't buy
anything privately to replace it with).

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.92.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Jun 20 11:48:01 UTC 2023 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.