List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: OT: Ways to figure what causing High Ping Loss that require power cycling cable modem??
From:       "Michael D. Setzer II via users" <users () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2023-07-09 15:17:57

On 9 Jul 2023 at 7:10, stan via users wrote:

Date sent:      	Sun, 9 Jul 2023 07:10:08 -0700
To:             	users@lists.fedoraproject.org
Subject:        	Re: OT: Ways to figure what causing High Ping
Loss that require
	power cycling cable modem??
From:           	stan via users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org>
Copies to:      	mikes@guam.net, stan <upaitag@zoho.com>

> On Sun, 09 Jul 2023 21:50:13 +1000
> "Michael D. Setzer II via users" <users@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>
> > Island got hit with a Typhoon Cat 3/Cat 4 that caused lots of
> > damage to all internet providers. Power at house was out for a
> > week. They are still working on lots of issues.
> >
> > Can figure when issue happens, and power cycle on cable modem
> > fixes it. Wonder if there might be some process to find way to
> > prevent it from happening or way to have script software reset
> > modem. Years ago had way to reboot Surfboard modem, but now
> > ISP using Arriss cable modems. Web access has no reboot option?
> > Thanks.
>
> Just a guess here, but is it possible that the ISP is cycling limited
> bandwidth through their customer base because of the problems?  Thus,
> you get hit periodically, and when you reboot, you get allocated from
> the current group.  You could ask them.

Thanks for reply. The cable modem only has these menu options.

    Status
    HW/FW Versions
    Event Log
    CM State

The first 4 only show info, have no options to do anything other
than zero out some counters.
The Advanced option prompts for a password of day?? Found web
site that figures out password of day, but it uses a default seed,
and the password it generates doesn't work. So don't know what
options it might show?? Did just order a $15 remote control outlet,
so when get it will be able to click off, then click on rather than
physically unplugging modem.

Is sent info to ISP, but haven't got a good reply yet. Asked if it was
plugged into UPS, which it is.

> Also, I don't have a cable modem, but on my modem, in the menus, there
> is an option to ask for a new lease (?), I think it is called.  That
> is, it drops the current connection and goes through the sign on
> protocol with the ISP to get assigned a new IP address.  Does your
> modem have something similar?  Easier than a power cycle? Maybe.

It always gets the same IP address, and running speed test cli
gives the proper speed to all 4 local Guam speed test servers and
to one in San Diego.

The time between the issues varies greatly.
In last week had 44 outages going from highs of 7 hours, down to 7
less than 1 hour.
7	2
6	3
5	4
4	3
3	7
2	6
1	12
0	7
	44

So, if it was a time or user thing would think it would be a range of
times versus random times. Shortest on reappeared after just 4
minutes?

Was just wondering if there might be some command that might
give more data. Also, see TV doing the same thing popping up with
No Internet Available messages. So definitely something between
cable modem and ISP.

Thanks again.

 Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor (Retired)
 mailto:mikes@guam.net
 mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
 Guam - Where America's Day Begins
 G4L Disk Imaging Project maintainer