List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: whence USB 2?
From:       Michael Hennebry <hennebry () web ! cs ! ndsu ! nodak ! edu>
Date:       2023-05-09 17:50:28

On Mon, 8 May 2023, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:

> On 5/8/23, Michael Hennebry <hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

>> Why no connectors for USB 2 at all?
>
> USB numbers refer to the signaling/speed over the wire, USB letters
> refer to the shape and size of the port. While USB 4 can only be used
> with the new USB-C ports, USB 3 could be used with either shape. The
> only way the USB Implementers Forum could have made it more confusing
> is if they used cuneiform. At any rate, you are looking for USB-A

Not Linear A?

> shaped ports.

> If you can settle for 3 there are options from just about every manufacturer.

I'd been looking at used laptops and had not found any.
Maybe I quit looking too soon.
I've got a couple USB hubs, so would settle for one.

On Tue, 9 May 2023, George N. White III wrote:

> hennebry@web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu> wrote:

>> Why no connectors for USB 2 at all?

> USB-C signaling is compatible with USB 2, so there are cheap (US$10)
> adapters
> that allow you to connect a USB 2 cable/device to a USB C port.

To be clear, what does compatible mean?
I hope it means that an adapter does not require any electronics.
'Tis just an extension chord with a C-male
on one end and an A-female on the other.
Is that what it means?

[hennebry]
>> BTW it can be a pain discovering what kind of connections a laptop has.
>> Usually an ad will mention HDMI and how great the internals are,
>> but not what kind of USB connections or whether it will take an SD card.
>>

> Major vendors will have manuals available for download.   I also look for

That is what I usually had to do.
Some of them had annotated images that labeled the connections.

--
Michael   hennebry@mail.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
"Occasionally irrational explanations are required"  --  Luke Roman