List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: Certbot error
From:       Tim via users <users () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2023-04-23 5:16:08

Tim:
>> Nor should you really have to have a virtual host.

Mike Wright:
> I think it may be referring to the Apache directive <VirtualHost *>

So was I.  You can have a webserver serving a solitary website.
Virtual host configs should only be necessary when you have multiple
sites on the same server.

Really, it ought to be looking for the server name (and/or aliases),
and the server should be sending them back with all connection attempts
(including when you don't do virtual hosting).  It's just that virtual
host configuration is much more explicit about getting you to configure
it.

It used to be that HTTPS required that (dedicated server), which was a
problem in a world with dwindling spare IPv4 addresses.

--

uname -rsvp
Linux 3.10.0-1160.88.1.el7.x86_64 #1 SMP Tue Mar 7 15:41:52 UTC 2023 x86_64

Boilerplate:  All unexpected mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted.