List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: what is my dns?
From:       ToddAndMargo via users <users () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2023-03-28 6:09:41

On 3/27/23 21:22, Tim via users wrote:
> Tim:
>>> Are you on-line?
>>>
>>> And did any of the other options work?
>

> ToddAndMargo:
>> No.   And I am also not running sysyemd-resolved
>
> Perhaps we should go back to the start, your question is itself a bit
> odd.  DNS means Domain Name System, but we all presume you want to know
> the address of your Domain Name Server.
>
> When a device joins a network it is typical that a DHCP server assigns
> it an addresses (numerical IP, hostname, domain name), and provides
> some other addresses (gateway IP, nameserver(s), subnet mask).  The
> DHCP server need properly configuring to provide that info.  Your
> device will glean that info, and use it, even if you are running your
> own name server.
>
> And one would expect that all of that gets cancelled when disconnecting
> (not that people often cleanly disconnect, as opposed to just losing
> connection).
>
> Failing that, without a DHCP server, variously named auto-config
> schemes can take place (Bonjour, ZeroConf, etc) which do a similar
> task.  This time, the device, itself, self sets several of those
> parameters, but not in a way that can communicate outside of the
> network.  It'll pick a random IP address from within a local-only
> range, it'll broadcast hostname queries waiting for an answer from
> anyone.
>
> Failing that, you hand set your network configuration.
>
> Normally, when you connect up to your ISP their DHCP server assigns you
> all that networking info.  Some don't, some expect you to set some
> things, though that's an older way of doing things.  And some just fail
> badly.  If you want to know your ISP's DNS servers to put into your
> network configuration, or into your name daemon's forwarder IPs, you
> could try:
>
> a) Connecting via DHCP and copying the details
> b) Asking them what the DNS server IPs are
> c) Googling them
>
> Bearing in mind that an ISP's DNS servers may change, at any time, they
> may expect you to use DHCP to keep them current.
>
> If there's a router between your ISP and your device, *it* will have
> your ISP's DNS IPs in it, as your ISP's DHCP server will have
> configured it, and you can copy them.  And *it* will probably act as
> your DHCP server for the rest of your network.  You may be able to
> customise its DHCP settings to suit your LAN.  That router will act as
> your DNS server, or simply pass queries through.  You can use that
> router's IP as your DNS forwarder IP.
>
> You may not need to use your ISP's DNS servers, you could simply use
> Goggle's, or some other public DNS server (there are various public
> ones, with and without censoring).  This may actually be better for you
> than your ISP's.  The only gotcha is that some ISPs will give a
> different answer to their mailserver's IP to their own clients than to
> the rest of the world.

I was looking for a way I could look up the final DNS
server, regardless of was type of local server I was
going through.  I don't think it is possible.  It looks
like I should dig it out from /etc/named.conf's
forwards section.

# grep -i forwarders /etc/named.conf | grep -v "#"
         forwarders { 208.67.222.123; 208.67.220.123; };
         forwarders {8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4; };

And it looks like I have to be root to read /etc/named.conf,
so never mind.