List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: OT: Can Fedora upgrade firmware on WD SSD drives?
From:       Jeffrey Walton <noloader () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-12-21 18:09:31

On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 12:47 PM Roger Heflin <rogerheflin@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Just for Information. I did get a response from WD that
> > was a little concerning.. Some messages had mentioned
> > perhaps hooking the disk to a windows machine and
> > doing the updates, but the WD respone mentioned that
> > they could not guaranty that the disk would still work
> > with the windows updated firmware??
> >
> > So, sounds like they really don't know what is going on
> > with there own firmware upgrades?
> >
> > So, will definitely ignore the upgrades. Have some WD
> > SSD drives that are the same, but have different
> > firmware, but since they put no info on what is different
> > in each firmware, better safe to leave what works alone.
> >
> > Thanks to all that have replied. Think WD would be more
> > concerned with supporting disk for all OS's. Rather than
> > only focus on windows only support.
> >
> No, that is legalize code for we do not guarantee this device will work with any \
> software at all.
> And you may brick the device and we won't warranty that unless the device is still \
> in warranty.
> I have found even with paid support, the answer support gives you (that it will or \
> won't work) is very often worthless.
> Works at best means we tested it once and it worked for our simple easy short term \
> test (I have worked with an enterprise vendor that certified hw/software \
> combinations that would reliably crash more often more than 1x per week under load, \
> so their certification is not worth a lot.

A company can tell you whatever they want to dissuade you from
engaging in support of filing a legal action. Telling you the firmware
update may or may not work, and disclaiming a warranty on it, does not
mean a thing. The firmware update has specific warranties attached to
it by law.

It is like driving behind a construction vehicle with a sign "Not
responsible for debris falling off the vehicle." The law says they are
responsible for their load. It does not matter what signs are posted
on the truck, or what the sign says.

(What companies are relying on is ignorance of the law. Don't believe
anything a company or its lawyers tell you. A company is going to give
you an answer that benefits the company, not you. If there's a
controversy, take it to court and let someone else (judge or jury)
decide the facts).

Jeff