List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: OT: Can Fedora upgrade firmware on WD SSD drives?
From:       Roger Heflin <rogerheflin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-12-21 17:46:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

> Just for Information. I did get a response from WD that
> was a little concerning.. Some messages had mentioned
> perhaps hooking the disk to a windows machine and
> doing the updates, but the WD respone mentioned that
> they could not guaranty that the disk would still work
> with the windows updated firmware??
>
> So, sounds like they really don't know what is going on
> with there own firmware upgrades?
>
> So, will definitely ignore the upgrades. Have some WD
> SSD drives that are the same, but have different
> firmware, but since they put no info on what is different
> in each firmware, better safe to leave what works alone.
>
> Thanks to all that have replied. Think WD would be more
> concerned with supporting disk for all OS's. Rather than
> only focus on windows only support.
>
> Have a great day.

No, that is legalize code for we do not guarantee this device will work
with any software at all.

And you may brick the device and we won't warranty that unless the device
is still in warranty.

I have found even with paid support, the answer support gives you (that it
will or won't work) is very often worthless.

Works at best means we tested it once and it worked for our simple easy
short term test (I have worked with an enterprise vendor that certified
hw/software combinations that would reliably crash more often more than 1x
per week under load, so their certification is not worth a lot.