List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: OT: Can Fedora upgrade firmware on WD SSD drives?
From:       Tom Horsley <horsley1953 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2022-12-20 0:32:12

On Tue, 20 Dec 2022 10:51:01 +1030
Tim via users wrote:

> Generally speaking, when things work, don't fiddle with them.  Firmware
> is much more tricky than configuration files.  It's harder to undo, if
> you can at all, if it goes haywire.

I had a motherboard once that wasn't operating properly and all
the advice I could find on the internet about the problem said
a firmware upgrade would fix it. So I very carefully with minute
attention to all the details in the update instructions tried to
update the firmware. There was no power failure, no obvious
problems, but the motherboard was now a brick. I was able to
order a pre-flashed replacement eprom chip, and it did indeed
fix the original problem, but I always leave "update the firmware"
as my last resort desperation fix :-).