List:       fedora-list
Subject:    OT: Can Fedora upgrade firmware on WD SSD drives?
From:       "Michael D. Setzer II via users" <users () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2022-12-19 19:26:32

Contacted them, since web site seemed to only have
option to upgrade firmware using a windows program?
Got a reply that that is currently the case, and only option
would be to install windows on machine, or remove drive
and put in windows machine to upgrade??

I've got 5 Linux machines at home that all have WD SSD
drives, and a few of the earlier ones have older firmware
that others of the same model..

Don't know if makes any real difference or what
improvements firmware updates would do. Kind of
disappointed that they don't have a Linux option.
Have used my Linux based G4L program to image old
drives to the SSD drives with no problems, and had heard
good things on the drives.

Wonder if someone knows of an option. Don't know if
windows program to update firmware might work with
wine or not??

Thanks.

 Michael D. Setzer II - Computer Science Instructor
(Retired)
 mailto:mikes@guam.net
 mailto:msetzerii@gmail.com
 Guam - Where America's Day Begins