List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: Startup recovery
From:       Ed Greshko <ed.greshko () greshko ! com>
Date:       2021-10-23 10:51:28

On 23/10/2021 18:04, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> On Sat, 2021-10-23 at 14:19 +1030, Tim via users wrote:
>> Nor even is computer literacy a prerequisite for being a tech support
>> person, either:  I had to get my ISP to change their faulty router,
>> that was an exercise in stupidity.  You can't phone them, you had to
>> do
>> it over the internet, in a little chat window through a website.  So,
>> beforehand, I swapped the failed one for a still working one, then
>> spent an hour trying to tell them, no I can't put the failed one back
>> in and continue chatting to you to test the failed one.  I even
>> pointed
>> out that if I put the faulty one in-circuit I would not be able to
>> talk
>> to them any more, but they just couldn't see it.  I did try offering
>> speak to them over the phone, but they couldn't or wouldn't do that.
> I've had similar experiences, and ended up switching to a different ISP
> a couple of years ago. My current ISP provides Internet, nothing else
> (no TV packages, no mobile packages etc.) and do that extremely well.
> They also have 5-star technical support and if you need to call them
> you get someone who knows what they're doing and doesn't talk down to
> you as soon as they realise you have technical knowledge yourself.
>
> Vote with your wallet.

I don;t know how they respond to the local Taiwanese, but I can say that when I have
a network problem the English speaking support I get from Chunghwa Telecom is
super.  After days of poor performance, I told them there was an issue with one of their IPv6 edge
routers causing unusually high latency they understood what I was telling them.  They asked for my
analysis and fixed the problem within 24hrs.

--
On Facebook it is called Vaguebooking.