List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: downloading a complete web page without using a browser...
From:       "Stephen J. Turnbull" <stephen () xemacs ! org>
Date:       2021-07-07 5:20:20

D&R writes:

 > env shows :0.0. I have tried several variations:
 > export DISPLAY=:0
 > export DISPLAY=:0.0
 > export DISPLAY=:0.1

The first two should work, not sure about the second.  I would check
the following:

1.  Is there actually a firefox executable where the script expects
    it?  (Note that depending on how you run the script, it may not
    actually search PATH for firefox.)  If you're sure Firefox is
    starting, then this doesn't apply.
2.  If you're running over ssh, you may have a different DISPLAY
    (typically 10.0) or no DISPLAY set at all.  This is very unlikely,
    I suppose you're running the script the same way you ran env.  Oh,
    make sure you're running env on the host where the script is!
3.  Nowadays most X servers require authentication from clients,
    usually a simple MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE by default.  This requires
    credentials be stashed somewhere, typically $HOME/.Xauthority on
    the host where the client is started.

All of this seems kinda unlikely, but it's what I can come up with
offhand.  There is a kind of X server that you may be able to install
(Xnull or Xtest or something like that), that doesn't actually do
anything except speak the X protocol back to the client.  I don't know
whether that would help, but it could avoid a flash of a window (and
perhaps save a few milliseconds in execution).

Steve