List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: Windows 11 KVM and video?
From:       Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-07-04 17:29:57

On Sun, 2021-07-04 at 12:32 -0400, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Jul 2021 17:12:48 +0100
> Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>
> > I use VFIO passthrough to run Windows games
>
> But that requires two video cards and two monitors right? (Or at
> least
> a KVM switch and one monitor). If I had to go to that much trouble
> I might as well just have a second computer for Windows :-).

I use the internal video on my i7 for Linux, and an added GTX card for
Windows. I also have a KVM switch. All in all this was decidedly
cheaper than buying an additional PC. I don't run this way all the
time, just when I feel like some Windows-native gaming, but
increasingly I find that Proton (Steam's version of Wine) works very
well for quite a wide selection of games, and both Stadia and Xbox
streaming work directly on Linux with good results (as does Nvidia's
streaming solution), so I'm doing it less as time goes on.

poc