List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: downloading a complete web page without using a browser...
From:       ToddAndMargo via users <users () lists ! fedoraproject ! org>
Date:       2021-07-04 3:25:04

On 7/3/21 8:02 PM, dwoody5654@gmail.com wrote:
> I have been using a shell script called save-page-as.sh to download a complete
> web page. This has been working as expected.
> The relevant line the the script is:
> "${browser}" "-new-window" "${url}" &>/dev/null
>
> I now need the ability to run this program or another program via email to my
> computer from other locations. I do not have the option to login remotely.
>
> The save-page-as.sh program runs firefox. I have not been able to get this to
> work using email. env shows DISPLAY=:0.0. I have added each of the Display
> commands as below:
>
> export DISPLAY:0
> export DISPLAY:0.0
> export DISPLAY:0.1
>
> None of those have worked.
>
> the url I am trying to download does not have an extension ie. no '.htm' such
> as:
> https://my.acbl.org/club-results/details/338288
>
> wget does not download the correct web page.
>
> Appreciate any pointers to get the save-page-as.sh working using a browser or a
> different command line program.
>
> David

Hi David,

Try this

$ curl https://my.acbl.org/club-results/details/338288 --output eraseme.html

   % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time
  Current
                                  Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left
  Speed
100  463k    0  463k    0     0   193k      0 --:--:--  0:00:02 --:--:--
  193k

I opened eraseme.html and the 338288 web page right
next to each other in Firefox and they look exactly
the same to me.

I use curl almost exclusively for download web site.
wget has its issues.

HTH,
-T