List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: AAUGH! More "helpful" software!
From:       Ed Greshko <ed.greshko () greshko ! com>
Date:       2020-04-28 22:59:41

On 2020-04-29 01:12, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 11:57:01 -0400
> Jonathan Billings wrote:
>
> > I think it's the packagekit-offline-update.service that actually
> > performs the update during shutdown (triggered by
> > system-update.target).  I bet if you run:
> > 'systemctl mask packagekit-offline-update.service'
> > ... it will disable the updates during shutdown.
> Bingo! I used "systemctl --root=/mnt/sysroot" to mask both
> packagekit-offline-update and packagekit before booting the
> first time after the reinstall, and rebooted with no messages
> about installing updates. (And no gnome notifications about
> new updates I desperately need to install).

Interesting.  This leaves me with some questions.  Like, what did you install and how \
did you install it?

I just created a new F32 VM from Fedora-Workstation-Live-x86_64-32-1.6.iso.  When I \
booted into the live image and checked the status of packagekit-offline-update it \
showed.

● packagekit-offline-update.service - Update the operating system whilst offline
     Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/packagekit-offline-update.service; \
static; vendor preset: disabled)  Active: inactive (dead)

I then did the "Install to Disk" and rebooted.

There was no message about installing updates.  And, when finished the "Welcome" \
procedures to create my user I check and the status of packagekit-offline-update was \
unchanged.

So, how can I reproduce what caused your system to do something different?

--
The key to getting good answers is to ask good questions.