List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: Authentication is required to mount /dev/fedora_localhost-live/home
From:       Mike Wright <nobody () nospam ! hostisimo ! com>
Date:       2020-02-04 0:54:44

> On Mon, 2020-02-03 at 12:17 -0800, Mike Wright wrote:
>> Some quick notes about lvm.  The essence of LVM is the volume group
>> (VG).  Volume groups contain logical volumes (LV).  Volume groups are
>> defined by specifying the raw devices, the physical volumes (PV), that
>> provide the storage.  In order to attach a PV to a VG the raw device
>> /dev/sdX must be tagged as a PV.  Until that is done (pvcreate) a raw
>> device cannot be part of a VG.  Once within a VG the raw device isn't
>> really mountable because the filesystem on it is created at the LV
>> level, not the raw device level.
>
> Yes, I already understand that much in theory.
>
>> Now as to sd5: try the command "pvs".  It will show the tagged (defined)
>> PVs AND it will show which, if any, VGs that they belong to.
>
> $ sudo pvs
>    PV         VG                    Fmt  Attr PSize    PFree
>    /dev/sda3  fedora_localhost-live lvm2 a--  <128.00g <17.80g
>    /dev/sda4  fedora_localhost-live lvm2 a--   <16.00g <16.00g
> $
>
>> If sda5 is NOT listed by "pvs" then your mount environment is mixed
>> raw/LVM.
>
> That appears to be the case.
>
>> Any way you look at it, you may mount both the raw device and
>> the LV at the same point but only the most recent will be visible.  I
>> also have a hunch that mounting a raw device that is part of a VG is an
>> invitation to disaster.
>
> It wouldn't surprise me. How can I unravel this (short of a complete
> reinstallation)? I'm not enamoured of LVM and would be quite happy to
> revert to basic partitioning, but if that isn't feasible I'm willing to
> move forward to LVM-only if that's what it takes.

I just went through the beginning of this thread.  The issue was that
attempting to mount /dev/fedora_localhost-live/home required a password.

Are you sure there's a problem?

Your mount output shows root, swap, home.  / and swap are on LVs and
/home is /dev/sda5.  As far as the system is concerned
/dev/fedora_localhost-live/home is just another partition that, as any
other, requires root privilege to mount.

Unless I'm really missing something here...

:m

PD: Ten paciencia chapulín. LVM podría ser tu amigo.