List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Fedora 31 and VNC - problems
From:       "mario futire" <mariofutire () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-01-29 21:12:58

I am trying to set up a vnc server on Fedora 31 (GDM, GNOME-Wayland).

I've tried 2 separate routes

1) XDCMP: via xvnc.socket (as documented here /usr/lib/systemd/system/xvnc@.service)
Super simple, just run

systemctl enable xvnc.socket

Then from either the same machine or a RPI I connect the vncviewer to xxx:5900, I get \
the GDM login screen with the users, but nothing else) When typing the password. only \
the first dot is displayed and after pressing enter I get the "Oops, something bad \
happened, log out"

2) vncserver: doc here /usr/lib/systemd/system/vncserver@.service
It is not clear what the display number should be, I tried a few.
After doing

systemctl enable vncserver@:XYZ.service

I get on the F31 machine the "Oops,... log out" (not sure it refers to what),
then I still try to connect via vncviewer localhost:XYZ, get asked for a password \
(which I set earlier via vncpasswd) and I get a black screen. The password is \
accepted, I can tell if I type the wrong one. But I only get a back screen.

One the one hand everything seems so well designed, but on the other nothing actually \
List Guidelines: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Mailing_list_guidelines