List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: Shredding a removable drive (OT)
From:       Roberto Ragusa <mail () robertoragusa ! it>
Date:       2019-01-30 14:15:23

On 1/30/19 12:48 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:

> Both the filesystem and your data are encrypted when using dm-crypt (whether you \
> use LUKS or not).  However, creating a dm-crypt device doesn't modify the \
> pre-existing data.  It only writes encrypted data to the disk when data is written \
> to the virtual device.
> Does that make sense?

Yes, and the reason for doing this is that encrypting some zeros can be faster than \
reading from /dev/urandom. I know for sure that /dev/urandom is (or was) not always \
able to saturate the speed of a disk (or SSD), while dmcrypt with modern hardware \
(AES instructions in the CPU) is always fast enough.

Regards.

   Roberto Ragusa    mail at robertoragusa.it