List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: F29 support for Intel Rapid Storage Technology (RST)
From:       Rick Stevens <ricks () alldigital ! com>
Date:       2018-11-30 23:55:10

On 11/30/18 3:39 PM, dsavage--- via users wrote:

>> On 11/30/18 2:24 PM, dsavage--- via users wrote:
>>> Does Fedora 29 support the Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) chip
>>> for
>>> hardware RAID? My new ThinkPad P72 came with an RST chip set up with
>>> two
>>> 2TB PCIe M.2 SSDs in a RAID1 config. The Fedora-29-MATE-Compiz spin DVD
>>> doesn't "see" it. Nor does Clonezilla.
>>>
>>> There's a BIOS mode setting for the Intel RST: "RST" mode for RAID, and
>>> "AHCI" mode for separate SATA drives. Changing that setting to AHCI
>>> will
>>> probably break the RAID1 array and render the P72 unbootable. I don't
>>> know
>>> if that would a destructive, irreversible change, or if changing the
>>> mode
>>> setting back to RST would restore everything.
>>>
>>> I've only tried the MATE spin. One purpose of this question is to find
>>> out
>>> if the full installation DVD supports the Intel RST chip.
>>
>> Yes, you can use RST with Fedora, but you have to import the RST
>> metadata into mdadmin before you partition and install the OS. There are
>> a number of articles out there you can read that describes the process.
>> Google is your friend. Note that you'll use mdadmin to manage the RST
>> stuff when running Linux and the RST tools that come with Windows when
>> running Windows..
>>
>> That being said, I've never done this in the installer as I never dual
>> boot Windows and Linux using the same physical disks. For the (very) few
>> times I must share a machine between the two, I have one set of disks
>> for Windows and a separate set of disks for Linux.
>>
>> In my world, Windows gets run in VMs with Linux as the host OS. Thus, I
>> use mdadmin and its metadata natively for my RAID stuff as I don't have
>> to share that metadata with Windows. Preferably, I use a _real_ RAID
>> controller--but they can be expensive.
>>

> Thanks Rick. Ultimately I plan to run this pre-installed Win10 in a VM
> under F29. The trick is to get a forensic copy of the existing
> pre-installed OS that I can read back into a VM using P2V. I'm not
> planning to dual boot. Note that this is a laptop (on steroids!), so using
> a "real" RAID controller is not feasible.

Oh, hmmm. Yeah. See? There's still a place for desktop machines for
doing weird stuff like this.

You should be able to use the Windows Security panel. There's a
mechanism to do a disk image of the Windows 10 install. Here's a link:

	https://www.windowscentral.com/how-make-full-backup-windows-10

If that won't do what you want, I'd still use it to make a backup
in case of disaster (DVDs are cheap, a spare hard drive in a USB
box isn't that much, either).

The next step would be booting a live image of Fedora (whatever desktop
you want) and use the command line to import the RST metadata into mdadm
and create the RAID for Linux. You could then "dd" that new volume to
media somewhere. Like I said, you need to be careful so you don't break
the RST RAID, but it can be done. If you do break the RAID, you'd have
the backup from the windowscentral.com website instructions to recreate
it.

Oh, the wonders of technology!