List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: Is your USB3 slow?
From:       Samuel Sieb <samuel () sieb ! net>
Date:       2018-10-31 19:35:52

On 10/30/18 3:45 PM, ToddAndMargo via users wrote:
> FC28, x86
> Xfce 4.12
>
> I am trying to copy he new Xfce Live ISO (1.4 GB) over
> to a Samsung usb 3.1 stick.  It is taking FOREVER.  And
> this is typical.
>
> Is your usb also slow by any chance?

My kernel is 4.18.16-200.fc28.x86_64

I just copied a 3GB iso to a FAT32 partition:
real	2m6.738s

Copying to EXT4 and syncing took almost 3 mins.

So I don't see this problem with my laptop.

Check the mount options, maybe there is something like sync set,
although it still shouldn't take that long.
Try running "iostat 5" while it's copying to see how much I/O is happening.