List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: empty messages from fedora users list.
From:       Samuel Sieb <samuel () sieb ! net>
Date:       2018-03-31 0:40:14

> On Thu, 2018-03-29 at 23:48 -0700, Samuel Sieb wrote:
>> I expect that Evolution is not using the same IMAP requests as
>> Thunderbird did.  Thunderbird was getting the server to parse the email
>> somewhat and give it the details.  Evolution may just be asking the
>> server to send it the whole thing.  I don't know if Evolution has some
>> way to log the protocol like Thunderbird, but it's not necessary.
>> Install "socat" and run the following command as root in a terminal:
>> socat -v tcp-l:143 openssl:your.mail.server:993
>
> Evolution does not download the whole message unless you ask for it
> (e.g. by having a preview pane open). To debug IMAP:

Sure, but if you look at the Thunderbird log, it asks the server to
describe all the MIME parts of the email message.  I'm suggesting that
Evolution just asks the server to send the entire message as one chunk.

> CAMEL_DEBUG=imapx:io evolution >& logfile
 > For more on Evolution debugging, see:
https://wiki.gnome.org/Apps/Evolution/Debugging

Good to know.  The suggestion I gave will also work for any other
application that doesn't have a specific logging option/

> Note that Evo has various preferences which can affect IMAP
> connections. Look in Edit->Preferences-><account>->Receiving Options.

I've only used Evolution at work because I have to connect to an
Exchange server.