List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: What the heck is a rc.local stop job?
From:       Gordon Messmer <gordon.messmer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-11-28 20:24:06

On 11/28/2017 09:51 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> The only reason I'm starting things in rc.local is because
> systemd can't ever start them properly because it has no idea
> when the network is actually up.

Can *anyone* experiencing this problem provide more information about
it?  I tried to reproduce this problem, but wasn't able to.

I did some testing by creating a shell script, /usr/local/bin/ip-log,
containing:

     #!/bin/sh
     /usr/sbin/ip addr show | logger

I ran "systemctl edit NetworkManager-wait-online" and added two lines to
the override file:

     [Service]
     ExecStart=/usr/local/bin/ip-log

... and rebooted.  Boot logs record that most services start 14-16
seconds past the minute and that NetworkManager starts setting up.  It
takes six seconds to connect to WiFi and get an address from DHCP.  At
22 seconds past the minute, the output of "ip addr show" is logged, and
then privoxy starts.

The privoxy unit requires network-online, and systemd (and
NetworkManager) waits for the network to be "actually up" on an
unmodified system where I did this test.  It would be useful to everyone
if anyone can provide more information.