List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: WD My Passport Ultra 3T usb drive problem
From:       Rick Stevens <ricks () alldigital ! com>
Date:       2016-10-31 21:24:59

On 10/31/2016 01:31 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 10/31/2016 01:02 PM, Eddie G. O'Connor Jr. wrote:
>> In certain cases isn't there a way to format a drive using the GPT
>> option? (I believe it's in "Disks") and then you select the drive in
>> question.....then go to the upper right hand corner and select the
>> "Format Disk" choice. When it opens you're looking to partition the
>> drive using the GPT selection and not the MBR-DOS option. This might
>> allow the entire drive to be seen. Granted it also might take a LONG
>> TIME to format!...after all its 3TB in size..Hope that helps.
>

> The problem with this drive doesn't appear to have anything to do with
> its capacity or its partition table.  The logs appear to indicate that
> it isn't spinning up.

And as I said, if the USB cable has two USB A connectors for the
computer, connect the one with the thicker cable to a USB3 port (that
one is usually both data and power and the connector is blue in color)
and make sure the one with a thinner cable is also connected to a USB
port (USB 1.1 or 2--it's used just for supplemental power).

Often a single USB port can't supply adequate power to spin up the
drive, so they use power from both USB connections to make it work. One
may need a powered USB hub to provide adequate power. A pain, but
usually not expensive.