List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: md-raid1 + lvm
From:       Saša Janiška <gour () atmarama ! com>
Date:       2016-10-30 6:45:46

Kevin Cummings <cummings@kjchome.homeip.net> writes:

> Questions specific to the test release (F25 has not been released yet),
> should be directed to the fedora-test list.

Well, I believe these questions are general ones and not tied to
specific (F25) release….

> Don't know where you heard that little tidbit.  I can tell you that LVM
> across multiple disks is terrible.  When you have a disk die suddenly,
> all LVs which have PVs on that disk are unrecoverable, UNLESS you are
> using a redundant raid partition.

OK. Thank you for confirmation of my 'knowledge'. ;)

> When using redundant raid, and you loose one disk, you can run in
> degraded mode until you replaced that failed disk, then you can
> rebuild the missing portion from the redundant part.

Right. And that's one reason why I e.g. prefer non-btrfs raid-1 where
replacing failed disk is more complicated affair than with md0.

> Probably a more historical artifact these days, but it could come into
> play if you are using a filesystem that grub2 cannot boot from.

OK. Clear.

Now I have to just check whether F25's GRUB is new-enough to handle XFS
on root.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
A person who is not disturbed by the incessant flow of
desires — that enter like rivers into the ocean, which is