List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: F24 gnome login failure
From:       Ahmad Samir <ahmadsamir3891 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-08-09 9:25:58

On 8 August 2016 at 19:24, Jon LaBadie <jonfu@jgcomp.com> wrote:
> On my F24 laptop I typically run in a Mate environment.
> Yesterday I tried to login to a gnome environment.
> After entering my password there is a little pause,
> screen blanks, and a fresh login screen comes back.
>
> Looking at logs, the only error I find is:
>
>   fatal ... could not find org.gnome.Shell.desktop
>
> That desktop file exists on none of my systems
> and dnf provides '*gnome.shell.desktop' returns
> nothing.

$ rpm -qf /usr/share/applications/org.gnome.Shell.desktop
gnome-shell-3.20.3-3.fc24.x86_64

It looks like 'dnf provides' is case-sensitive; so Shell instead of shell:
# dnf provides '*gnome.Shell.desktop'
Last metadata expiration check: 15:24:34 ago on Mon Aug  8 19:52:58 2016.
gnome-shell-3.20.3-3.fc24.x86_64 : Window management and application
launching for GNOME
Repo        : @System

gnome-shell-3.20.3-3.fc24.x86_64 : Window management and application
launching for GNOME
Repo        : updates

gnome-shell-3.20.2-1.fc24.x86_64 : Window management and application
launching for GNOME
Repo        : fedora

I am not sure, but maybe gnome-session should depend on gnome-shell,
given that it doesn't work without gnome-shell installed.

--
Ahmad Samir