List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: F24 CUPS error_log file
From:       "geo.inbox.ignored" <geo.inbox.ignored () gmail ! com>
Date:       2016-08-09 6:05:33

On 08/08/2016 10:24 PM, Dave Close wrote:
> I wrote:
>
>> I'm getting an error trying to print with Fedora 24 x86_64. The syslog
>> message says, "Job stopped due to filter errors; please consult the
>> error_log file for details." The CUPS interface on port 631 says,
>> "Filter failed". The journal doesn't seem to have any useful
>> information at all.
>>
>> But without more details, I'm stuck trying to fix this problem. None
>> of the files in /var/log/cups have been updated in a year or more. So
>> just where is this "error_log file"?
>>
>> Looking around online, I find a few others reporting a similar problem,
>> though with a different printer model. But I don't find any answers. If,
>> after I find the error log, I still can't fix things, I'll send another
>> message with details about the printer, but that isn't my question just
>> now. I just want to find the error log.
>
> "geo.inbox.ignored" replied:
>
>> after checking, this is how you get to logs;
>>   http://localhost:631/  > CUPS for Administrators > cupsd.conf Reference
>>   > http://localhost:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html
>> along right side you will find;
>>   Online Help Documents > References > cupsd.conf > ErrorLog
>> to have logs created, be sure you have correct levels set;
>>   http://localhost:631/help/ref-cupsd-conf.html#LogLevel
>
> Thanks for the reply but that doesn't help. I have logging set to debug
> but there is no log file, anywhere, and certainly not in the standard
> location, /var/log/cups. It's not hard to run "find / -name error_log";
> I have and the file does not exist.

===>

did you run 'find' as a user or as root user?

> From the absence of any other responses, I presume no one knows where
> the error log went. I guess it's time to open Bugzilla.

===>

before you blame fedora 24, did you search cups.org for similar error?

like;

 [cups] Only able to print from CUPS web interface ("filter failed" error
otherwise)

 http://www.cups.org/pipermail/cups/2014-November/026535.html

there are many other postings of 'filter failed', above is just 1 that
i picked at random.

also, do you have correct '.ppd' installed for your printer?

--

peace out.

CentOS GNU/Linux 7.1511

tc,hago.

.

=+=
Tired of having your microsoft os hacked?
Change to Linux os, used by microsoft hackers.
=+=
=+=