List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: Fedora 23 Server: can't startx
From:       Rick Stevens <ricks () alldigital ! com>
Date:       2016-03-31 0:52:52

On 03/30/2016 05:24 PM, James Hogarth wrote:

> On 31 Mar 2016 00:52, "Braden McDaniel" <braden@endoframe.com
> <mailto:braden@endoframe.com>> wrote:
>  >
>  > On Wed, 2016-03-30 at 13:21 -0400, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
>  > >
>  > > On 03/30/2016 12:06 PM, Braden McDaniel wrote:
>  > > > I have a fresh, updated install of Fedora 23 Server.  After
>  > > > installation, I installed the "Basic Desktop" group.  Now, when I
> try to
>  > > > run startx, it fails with the error:
>  > > >
>  > > >          xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation
> not permitted)
>  > > >
>  > > > Where should I look to diagnose/resolve this?  Could this be
> related to
>  > > > the fact that my home directories are NFS mounted?  (I have set the
>  > > > use_nfs_home_dirs SELinux setting to "on".)
>  > > >
>  > > What AVC's are you seeing?
>  > >
>  > > ausearch -m avc -ts recent
>  >
>  > None, apparently:
>  >
>  >         # ausearch -m avc -ts recent
>  >         <no matches>
>  >
>  > (I ran startx again just before doing that, just to be sure.)
>  >

> Rather than running startx as your user from a tty what is the result of
> systemctl isolate graphical.target to move to the graphical interface
> from the multi-user.target ?

This sure smells like some of the device drivers or utilities X needs
aren't installed. Can you try to install one of the normal desktop
environment groups, e.g.

	dnf groupinstall "Xfce Desktop"

I'm just thinking that "Basic Desktop" is incomplete or is just a
metapackage that one of the other desktops needs and isn't "stand
alone".
- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, AllDigital    ricks@alldigital.com -
-    Working with Linux is like wrestling with a worthy opponent.    -
-   Working with Windows is like picking on an annoyed child with a  -
-                            loaded handgun.                         -