List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: kickstart variables?
From:       Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-12-31 19:19:37

On Tue, Dec 31, 2013 at 12:14:27PM -0600, Stephen Berg (Contractor) wrote:
> Is there a list of available variables when doing a kickstart install?  I'm
> working up a kickstart for F20 and got curious if there's any that anaconda
> sets by default.  I know that you can use $releasever and $basearch when
> defining repos.  A few that I'd like to use if they exist would be:
>
> $mac (MAC address of the active network connection)
> $ip (current IP address)
> $nic (the name of the active network card, eno1, em1, eth0 or whatever)
>
> The intent here is to do a kickstart install and end up with a system that
> has eth0 as the NIC name.  MatLab from Mathworks wants to see eth0 when it
> does it's licensing thing.  I can easily get the system using eth0 after
> install, but if I could set it up that way from the kickstart it would save
> me some time on new installs and re-installs.

I do not think variables like that exist.  But then last time I looked
at kickstart was before the Anaconda rewrite.  AFAIK, this page is the
canonical documentation on kickstart files:

  <https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/Kickstart>

That said, I think this kind of information can be extracted by some
scripting in the kickstart files.  The post install section is one big
script after all.  If you are not familiar with it yet, take a look at
the Fedora spin kickstarts[1] for some examples.

Hope this helps,

Footnotes:

[1] Available with yum install spin-kickstarts.
    Git: <https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/spin-kickstarts.git/tree/>

--
Suvayu