List:       fedora-list
Subject:    Re: How to limit maximum number of TCP connections
From:       Patrick O'Callaghan <pocallaghan () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-06-29 11:49:43

On Fri, 2012-06-29 at 12:37 +0800, Ed Greshko wrote:
> > All this is going to achieve is breakage.  It'd denial-of-service
> some
> > clients that are actually trying to work, perhaps even DOS something
> > that's central to all the clients, and put the whole network into
> > failure, in one go.
> >

> If course you are ignoring one thing.  The OP isn't asking "how" he
> can solve "a"
> problem (undefined).  He is asking "how" he can implement a
> "solution" (poorly
> defined).  A "solution" to which he "can't" say no to.  :-) :-)

That's a hypothetical, as none of us know the full situation. However
IMHO it's a matter of professional responsibility for a consultant to
tell the client clearly when he's asking for something that makes no
sense. I know I've had to do this on occasion, and when done
diplomatically (i.e. not "you are an idiot", but "there's a better way
to achieve what you actually want") the client has always backed down.

poc